My favorite Wednesday of the year is coming up (June 21st) – the first day of SUMMER! My kids get excited about summer for one reason, no more school. I, on the other hand, get excited about entirely different things: long, warm, sunny days and redecorating… Yes I said redecorating. It’s time to wake up my home from its winter hibernation and get some life back in these 4 walls. If spring is meant for cleaning, then Summer is certainly meant for rejuvenating! I know keeping up with trends ca be exhausting and time-consuming, so I’ve done the work for you and compiled a list of the most popular home-decor trends of the year!
- Marble…Marble, EVERYWHERE. From wallpapers, to statues and statuettes, to vases and knickknacks, to counter tops, this “look” is HOT! No matter what you are shopping for, I can guarantee you will find a marbled pattern available. This is easy to incorporate in to current situations as there are different color variations available to match pre-existing décor.
- Flexible Faux. Faux Finishes have come a long way from just faux fur rugs, and that’s why it’s the second trend of the season. I LOVE the versatility of all things faux – not only is it usually more cost-friendly BUT also has the tendency to be more use-friendly; for example, faux wood planks and beams can withstand the elements better than real wood, and does not bow or rot like real wood. Taking a look back at our first trend – real marble is expensive, but if your need is not specific, faux marble is cheaper and easier to use/abuse/replace.
- Green thumbs (UP!). Bringing the outdoors in is our number 3 trend of the season. This is a two-part trend, so stay with me. The color green itself is the first part – this bright and inviting hue represents revitalization, and what better way to wake up from winter hibernation than with throwing some of this shade around!? The second part of this trend is much more literal – bringing the outside inside. This can be done a myriad of ways:
- Make your home come alive by bringing plants such as herb planters, flowers, or even vines indoors.
- Mimic colors that are found outside such as sky blue and sunny yellow to brighten up your home.
- Materials that belong outside (or resemble materials that belong outside) can be brought inside via furniture, rugs and wall décor in order to make your whole home, inside and out, feel more cohesive.
- Tenured Textures. In a world full of media, it’s nice to touch something real – which brings us to our fourth design trend. We have 5 senses, and touch seems to take a back seat to the others – my kids would rather play video games with their friends online than actually hang out with them in person! In today’s world, it is important to give people a reason to go in to a store or show room – and that reason is to touch and feel. Sure, we can buy things online, but instead, take a ride to a store, and find the rug you WANT to touch and the comforter you WANT to sleep with and then incorporate those textures in to your home.
Now that you know the seasons top trends, the time has come to spread those designer wings and fly on to your next home project – whether it’s a big re-model or small, strategic decorations, there are endless possibilities to bring the summer home with you!